I learned a lesson today while developing a new plugin (a River plugin) for ElasticSearch. It seems that when loading/running plugins ES catches any uncaught exceptions AND doesn’t log them. This made it really hard to debug an issue I had where I didn’t have the right JARs included in the plugin assembly. Here is an example assembly.xml file.
The problem would only manifest itself when I started reading data from a remote service. Inserting lots of log statements helped me identifiy where the code was silently failing, and then I used Eclipse’s remote debugging tool to see what the issues were. It turned out to be
If I get approval I will give more specifics on what the River does and possibly open source it on GH.